Thursday, June 30, 2011

Said I wasn't... but I am!

The other day (probably yesterday but the days all blend together during the summer) I said I wasn't going to take part in any fad diets... but I've changed my mind.  I need to do something different to jump start me a little more and get over this hump.  Yeah I saw 189 today on the scale but I'm ready to really start losing weight again.

So, with that being said, I'm going to try the cabbage soup diet.  This diet started back in the 50's and the origin is unknown.  I've read a lot about it and from what I've read, people lose weight and can keep it off if they continue to eat healthy.  I plan to eat healthy after it is over so I don't see a problem with it.  From what I've read, it seems to me like you are eating healthy.  You may deprive yourself of vitamins or protein or whatever, but I'm doing that anyway.  I know for sure that I'm not getting enough of whatever I need every day anyway.  I think this may just do the trick.

Here is what you do (in case anyone wants to do it with me).  It is only for 7 days.  I think I can handle that.

Soup recipe (there are variations but this seems to be the basic recipe):
1 head of cabbage (some say 1/2 but what am I going to do with the other half?  I may make 2 batches)
3 large carrots
6 green onions
2 green peppers
1 box mushrooms
1 large can diced tomatoes
celery
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 can V8 (I'm going to use tomato juice since I already have it)
salt, pepper, garlic to flavor
Chop it all up, mix it with like 12 cups of water and cook for a few hours (on low) or until everything is soft.

You eat the soup anytime you feel hunger coming on (about 2-3 bowls a day).

Here is what you can eat along with the soup each day:
Day 1: Any fruit you want and soup (no bananas), cranberry juice, unsweetened tea, and water.
Day 2: Any veggies you want and soup (no corn, beans, or peas) Baked potato for dinner.
Day 3: Fruit and Veggies and soup
Day 4: Unlimited skim milk and no more than 8 bananas, soup (this is suppose to help stop your craving for sweets)
Day 5: 10-20 oz. beef and veggies, 6 tomatoes, 6-8 glasses of water, and soup at least once (you can substitue chicken or fish for beef)
Day 6: Unlimited beef (you can eat 3 steaks if you want) and veggies, soup at least once
Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables, soup at least once

And that's that.  You can drink water, unsweetened tea, and coffee during this diet but no cokes.  You can't eat anything other than what is listed above.  From what I've read, you can lose around 10 pounds (I've read that it's water weight but you can keep it off if you are careful when you stop this diet).  This diet shouldn't be used for more than 7 days and I'm sure after 7 days you won't want to eat anymore darn soup.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  It should have a lot of fiber, so I'm guessing this will help take care of my constipation issues I've been having.

I just like the fact that you are eating a lot of healthy foods.  Might not meet the requirements your body needs but it is only 7 days!  I haven't looked to see how many calories it will be but from what I can tell, it is going to be a low calorie diet (The soup is a negative calorie soup meaning it uses negative calorie vegetables, which burn more calories to digest than they actually contain!  So the more you eat, the more you burn).

Anyway, think I'm crazy?  Want to join me?  I'm starting tomorrow (going to the store after nap to get my supplies).  :)  Let me know if you'd be willing to try it with me and we can support each other.

Here's a link to a website about the cabbage soup diet:  http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/

3 comments:

  1. Oy, gonna be fun to read about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had read this earlier, I'd done it with you. I'll see how it works for you then I'll try it. Like you said, it's only 7 days and if you can lose 10 pounds that is a great boost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think for the Healthy Weight Loss Method, the Mediterranean Diet. Try the Mediterranean Diet Get Fit with.

    ReplyDelete

Weight loss ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools