Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bike Riding

Yesterday a friend messaged me to see if I wanted to go for a bike ride out at a nearby lake trail.  We planned to meet at 6am and ride.  I was excited and nervous.  I haven't gotten on a bike since... well I think I bought a bike in college but didn't ride it much.

So I tried to go to bed early but that was a big FAIL.  I didn't go to sleep until after 1am and woke up at around 5am!  Drug myself out of bed, drank a protein shake, got some water from the store, and met her to ride.

Oh and did I mention that I have nothing as far as riding gear?  No bike and no helmet.  She let me borrow her husbands bike and helmet (sorry to her husband for sweating profusely in his helmet!).

I was nervous but the second I got on the bike I knew just what to do.  I wasn't real wobbly at all.  She was talking to me about gears and I had totally forgotten what that was all about.  I don't think I ever got use to changing gears the whole ride... but that's ok.

So we got started and I was tired before we got on the trail!  HA!  But I kept going a few more minutes and we stopped for a water break when we got on the actual trail (like right when we got there!).  I'm not really out of shape I'd say but this is a different workout and my body isn't use to it.  I drank some water and we kept going.

It was so nice, not hot, not bright, just right for riding.

I pushed myself up hills and then let myself glide downhill (umm that's the best part).  It took us about 30-40 minutes to get to our turning point (with a few breaks here and there) and then!!!...

We stopped and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack.  I started getting nauseous and felt sick to my stomach.  So we sat down.  I felt bad that I was going "riding" with her and I couldn't keep up, couldn't push myself any harder, I felt like I was not giving her a good ride.  After talking for a while and drinking some water and eating a couple of crackers my heart didn't feel like it was going to jump out of my chest and run away.  I felt better and we got back up to ride back.

I rode for a while until we got to some hills that I just couldn't push myself to go up and we walked a bit with our bikes.  EMBARRASSING!  Here come some other bikers, other runners just zooming past us WALKING our bikes.  Oh well, at least I was out doing something good for my body, right?  :)

Oh and I never knew so many people got up so very early to ride their bike or go for a run or walk.  Good job healthy people.  I'm glad I'm joining that new world.  I'm going to attempt to get up at 6am every day this week and go for a walk.  That's what Dr. Oz says to do, work out early in the morning.  I'm NOT a morning person but for 1 week I'll give myself that challenge, starting today!

So anyway, eventually we got to some downhill parts and zoomed through them.  It didn't seem like it took us as long to get back to the car.  Maybe I was tired and pushing myself a little harder knowing that I could get in my car and try to breath normal again.

I enjoyed my ride.  I'm mad at my body for giving out on me and not letting me push harder and ride more.  But I guess I did good for my first bike ride.

I love that here it is barely 8am and I'm done with my workout for the day.  I'll probably go walking tonight.

So there it is, the uncensored story of my first bike ride!  Just makes me want to get a bike and push myself even harder to learn to ride.








(don't forget about my little giveaway.  Click here)

UPDATE:  MY BUTT BONES ACHE!  I can't sit without them hurting.  Why oh why can't they make decent seats on bikes?  I went to my mom's house and brought home my bike and aired it up and got me a new cushy seat cover.  I can't wait to ride... after my butt heals.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I know you don't THINK you're a morning person, but I promise you, do it for a week like you said and you will be a convert! Like you noticed, you're done with your workout before your day normally started! And if things "happen" during the day to prevent you from working out in the evening...no worries....you've already worked out! Nothing to keep you from it at that time of the morning! I'm so proud of you Leah!!!

    ReplyDelete

Weight loss ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools