Sunday, July 24, 2011

Happy Fridge

I love the day after a big trip to the grocery store when your fridge is full of fresh food!  I almost get too excited.  What am I going to make first?  Salad? Chicken? Veggies?  It is just a bit overwhelming.  :)  Maybe I'm just weird.  I usually wait until I have nothing left to eat in the house (but yet the fridge still has stuff and so does the pantry) but tuna and then hit the store.

We went to SAMS and got yummy peaches and grapes and salmon and chicken and and and the list goes on and on of yummyness.

I got spinach and made myself my first green smoothie.  It didn't turn out green like I expected it to look but I put at least 2 cups of spinach in there (too much? Not enough?) and frozen strawberries and frozen banana and a scoop of my protein powder to make it all smooth and creamy.  It made 2 huge smoothies!  I'm thinking I may put the 2nd half of my smoothie in the fridge until I can stomach it all.  I'm STUFFED!  It was good though.

I got a big bag of almonds at the store and I'm thinking about making almondaise with some of it.  It is so good on wraps or sandwiches.  My mom use to make these veggie wraps where you chop up or food process the veggies until they are small and then mix it with the almondaise and wrap it up in a wheat tortilla and enjoy.  It's yummy- I did it once with broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, water chestnuts, and a bag of that slaw mix.  Now I think I'm craving that!  I'll have to get on that as soon as I eat through some of this other yummy food I have here.

Here's the recipe for Almonnaise:

1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 to 3/4 cup water or soymilk
2 rounded teaspoons of soy powder (optional)
1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast (found at a local health food store)
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning or seasoned salt
1 to 1 1/4 cups safflower or sunflower oil (I use safflower and LOVE IT)
3 tbs lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1.  Cover almonds with boiling water and allow to cool slightly.  Slip off the skins.  Have all ingredients handy.
2.  Place almonds in blender or food processor (I think I'll try my new blender!) and grind to a fine powder.  Add half the water or soy milk along with soy powder, yeast, garlic powder, and seasoning.  Blend well, then add the remaining water or soymilk to form a smooth cream.
3.  With blender running on low, remove insert and top and drizzle the oil in a thin stream until mixture is thick.
4.  Kepp blender running and add lemon juice and vinegar.  Blend on low for 1 minute longer to allow mixture to thicken to desired consistency.  Refrigerate tightly sealed; this will keep for 10 days to 2 weeks in the fridge.

YUMMY!  I'm going to go make me some right now!

(EDIT: THE WAY I SAY TO COOK SALMON IS NOT A HEALTHY OPTION!  I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS METHOD UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT FAT AND CALORIES... OR HEART ATTACK.  SEE THE COMMENTS FOR A HEALTHIER CHOICE... WHICH I WILL DEFINITELY TRY) Oh and salmon!  I love salmon.  We got a HUGE thing of salmon at SAMS that I plan to cook in a couple of days.  Here's how I do it (for those of you interested)... I may have to tweak it to make it more healthy...  Line a broiling pan with foil, poke hole in the foil to let it drain (this helps with some of the cleanup).  Put the salmon on the pan skin side down.  Put mayonnaise over the salmon (like you're frosting a cake).  Turn your oven on broil.  After the oven is hot, put the salmon in for 7 minutes.  Then take it out, flip it and cook for 7 minutes.  Take it out, flip it again and baste with a mixture of oil, butter, Cajun spices, garlic or really whatever flavors you want.  Put in the oven and cook for another 5-6 minutes depending on thickness.  It turns out PERFECT every time!  :) So juicy and so YUMMY!  Not sure what the mayonnaise does but I think it is key to the perfectly cooked juicy salmon.

Anyway, that's enough from chef Leah today.  I'm gonna go look in the fridge and plan out what's for lunch today.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Salmon should not induce a heart attack. Try this..Big sheet of aluminum foil, rub a little olive oil on foil, place 1, 2 or 3 portions of fish. A little herbs, a drop more olive oil and seal the fish in tight. Another piece of foil, and place seam side down on foil. Seal this, ensuring a tight closed packet. 35 minutes before dinner, with no soap in your dishwasher, place the packet or many packets on the top shelf of the dishwasher. With heated dry on, run a full cycle. When the machine is done, perfect fish, healthy and no crap. As an ultra oily fish, all that mayo and butter is bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, my salmon is not a healthy option but turns out great... I will have to try your dishwasher salmon FOR SURE (I'll just have to cook it before the hubby comes home, I think that would freak him out a bit). :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trisha, at Crazy little life used the recipe last week.. She will tell you how it turned out..

    ReplyDelete

Weight loss ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools