Tuesday, October 11, 2011

MIA! and the terrible horrible no good very bad day last week

Let me just appologize to my blog stalkers! I can't believe it has been almost a month since the last time I blogged out here.  I won't make excuses for myself so let's just jump into why I came here tonight to blog.

So last week... Tuesday, was the most terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day I've had in a very LONG TIME.

I'll try to make this short... but it will more than likely turn out long.

So on Monday night I went to bed with a pain in one of my sides, under my right rib.  I couldn't sleep very well, couldn't get comfortable... wasn't sure what the problem was.  I figured if I just went to sleep that the pain would be better by morning time (didn't feel like gas pains but I thought maybe it could "pass" while I was sleeping).  In the morning the pain was actually worse to the point of me in tears.  This pain was now on both sides and had now moved up to my chest, making it hard to breathe.  I knew it wasn't anything baby related because the baby is down low.  So I googled it and searched to find out what was wrong with me.  I determined that it might be my gallbladder or a gallstone.  They said in many places online that it seems to show up in pregnant women more.  I called and made myself a doctors appointment that morning.

I went into the doctor's office at 8:45am.  I didn't see the doctor until about 10:30am.  He checked me out and asked me questions, checked the baby heartbeat (which was fine) and decided to do a gallbladder ultrasound.  He asked me a few more questions and we talked and he decided that since I was having a hard time breathing that he would go ahead and send me downstairs to the ER (this is a women's hospital/doctors office).  So I went in around 10:45am to the ER and they ran blood tests and monitored me for a while. 

The ER doctor came in and said that my blood tests came back fine and that she figured it was just indigestion.  I asked, "then why am I having a hard time breathing?"  She said to come back tomorrow and go to the outpatient ultrasound people for a gallbladder ultrasound.  They gave me a prescription for some strong acid blocker (like prilosec), and some nausea medicine and sent me on my way (oh and she gave me a mallox shot to drink... which did NOTHING but make my throat numb).

So I was a little pissed that I would be in this pain for at least another day before figuring out what was wrong with me!

I went home to rest and my husband went to get my car and prescription filled.


I was asleep for a little while when I got a phone call from my daycare.  I ignored it because I couldn't talk and called my husband after they called again for the second time (leaving no voice-mail).  I figured it was my youngest child having diarea again and we would have to go pick her up (just what I needed, right).  Well my husband never called me back and I think I went back to sleep.

About an hour later I get a phone call from some number I wasn't sure of and I answered it.  It was someone from daycare asking me if I knew that Lauren (my youngest) was still at the daycare and that my husband got on the ambulance with Conner (my oldest) to go to the hospital....


I jumped out of bed (pain doesn't matter at this point, right) and started pacing around the house asking the person on the phone questions, calling my husband, calling someone to go get my little one so I could go to the hospital... I was in panic mode.  NEITHER of my children have been to the hospital since coming into this world.

I went to get Lauren and the teacher told me what happened to Conner.

He started after nap (I think) not feeling good and had a fever.  Within a couple of hours (or less) his fever spiked up to 106! She said that she looked over at him and noticed that he didn't look like him anymore.  She called his name and then saw his eyes roll back in his head and he clenched up and had a seizure!  A SEIZURE!  He has never had one before. 

So I got Lauren and rushed to the hospital.  The poor thing was so tired and so out of it in the hospital bed.  He had an iv and it was so sad to see him that way.  They did a CT scan, chest X-ray, blood tests, and probably other things to figure out what was wrong with him and what caused him to seizure.  Oh and they put this little bag on him to catch the pee.  Conner didn't like that and wanted it off.  After a while he took it off and I asked for a cup for him to pee in.  I was a proud mama that the child peed in a cup (silly, right?).  It took me 5 minutes to convince him to pee in the big cup.  I think he was pretty proud too... then fell back to sleep.  He was in and out of sleep most of our time there.

All of the tests came back fine (no tumor, white blood count was fine, not the flu, etc.).  RELIEF!  So what caused the seizure?  We learned from one of the doctors that what happened was because his fever spiked so high so quickly he had what they call a "febrile" seizure.  Meaning- children between the ages of 6 months to 6 years might run the risk of having this type of seizure.  It isn't because the fever got so high, it's because of how quickly it got that high.  It was his way of his body shutting it down or fighting it off.  I was told my his pediatrician the next day that if it happens again I don't have to take him to the hospital, that I can monitor it at home.  He said it may never happen again. 

So, from now on, whenever this child runs a fever, there will be tylenol on hand to be given right away.  I told my daycare to give it to him the minute they see that he's running a fever.

We left the hospital at 11pm that night.  They gave him a big dose of this anitibiotic (one doctor thought it was strep, one thought it was a virus, they treated him for strep even though the test said it was fine- there's a 50/50 chance the swab didn't catch the strep... or something like that).  Bt the time we got home, Conner was ready to play, watch movies, etc.  He was back to normal!

So I was in some doctor's office or hospital from 8:45am until 11:00pm that day.

What a wacky day.

I am just glad I have parents in town that jumped up to help with no questions.  My parents showed up to the hospital within minutes of me getting there, saw Conner and took Lauren home with them to spend the night! So, thanks mom and dad!

Oh and me- what was wrong with me?  INDIGESTION I guess.  I didn't get to take my "acid blocker" pill until I got home that night.  By the next morning, I was feeling about 90% better.

SO!  That's what I get for eating CRAP the past few weeks!  NO MORE CHIPS AND CHEESE AND CRAP for me!  I have started to try and attempt to eat better since that happened!  It's my own darn fault for feeling the way I did and boy I deserved the pain!  I never thought indigestion could feel that bad.  I didn't go to my ultrasound because I was feeling better.  So really, I don't know if it was indigestion but my guess is because of the acid blocker doing the trick that it must have been.

The moral of the story?  I dunno- don't eat crap and hug your children and tell them you love them.  Even though we both came out fine that day.... things could have been worse. 

Until we meet again...

1 comment:

  1. How scary! Glad everything turned out ok for the both of you and your both doing better.


Weight loss ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools