Thursday, September 20, 2012

A happy day in our house! 1st GRADE!

Here is another non-weight loss blog but an update from my previous non-weight loss blog.

I will say that I am trying to be better as far as what I eat but I am so sleepy that I haven't been working out (and I had McDonald's today).

So since we last spoke we have still been having problems with Conner.

Yesterday he got sent home for hitting another student.  He got super excited about his extra computer time that he slapped another kid in the back.  I felt kinda sorry for him because he couldn't control himself!  He didn't do it our of anger at all, just "so excited."  But the plan was for him to go home, since he hit another child.

Today, the counselor (FANTASTIC COUNSELOR) went into the classroom to help out his teacher.  She is doing everything she knows how and trying her hardest to handle Conner.  She has other students who are behavior problems too and I think she feels extremely overwhelmed.

While the counselor was in the classroom he gave Conner a bracelet and gave him a sticker for every time he made a good choice.  That worked for a while but then I think he got in trouble (I can't remember exactly) for I think spanking another student on the bottom.  He ended up tearing up the bracelet and was brought down to the office.

ok kinda off subject here but when Conner was in the office the principal had some white out tape and she said, "Hey Conner, do you know what this does?  Well see, I made a mistake here.  Look, my mistake is gone."  Then she pretended to "wipe out" Conner (get it, she erased his mistakes).  She said that Conner got his big grin on his face and kinda laughed.  I thought that was really funny and Conner got the humor of her joke! (one smart cookie)

Anyway, the counselor also noticed that while doing group time or work that Conner had an easy time and seemed maybe a little bored.

So I was called into the office and we talked for a while about moving Conner up to 1st grade to see how he does.  We have a 1st grade teacher who has been trained in dealing with children with Autism/Aspergers and even sensory issues.  I was very excited for Conner when that was mentioned to me because I had been thinking a lot about what to do with him and I had even considered the possibility of moving him up (to her room in particular).

So everyone was talked to and Conner was told what was going to happen and he got moved into the room after lunch/recess.

I peeked out my room when I saw them walking down the hallway to go to their specials class (art today) and she said that he was doing great and she didn't have any problems with him.

Maybe this is going to be great for him.  He will still technically (for now) be considered a kindergarten student but he will spend his day in 1st grade.

I am one happy and proud mom now.  Hopefully we aren't in the "honeymoon" phase right now.  I hope that he will be more confident and excited about going to school.

I feel a little lighter and happier today. 

I know that his Kindergarten teacher was trying her hardest with him and doing everything she was given or suggested to do with him but for some reason the environment just wasn't working out for him (but maybe he can eventually learn some strategies and learn how to behave at school and work his way back into Kindergarten). 

He came home today talking about some annoying kid in his class who acts out and interrupts during class (HA!  he was that child in kindergarten).  He also talked about a child he remembered from his old daycare.

So, I'm grateful to work at a school and have my child at a school with people who are open to trying new things and looking out for the good of the child.

Tomorrow Conner has a doctor's appointment to get him a referral from his doctor to get tested.  Can't WAIT!

Until we meet again... maybe I'll have something to say about my weight loss!  HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weight loss ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools